We usually eat our apples as it is or juice them but with the latest season of the Heartland Group’s signature Ambrosia Apples, let’s try to be more creative. In a celebration of all things bold and delicious with Raya, Heartland Group is putting a uniquely Malaysian twist on their much-loved apples, combining international flavors with classic Malaysian dishes.
In this ‘Amboi Ambrosia’ campaign, consumers were invited to broaden their culinary horizons by showcasing the many interesting and delicious ways that Ambrosia Apples can be incorporated into classic Malaysian dishes.
Speaking during the launch, Brendon Osborn, General Manger of Heartland Fruit said, “We are excited to kick-off Amboi Ambrosia together with our partners from GCH Retail Malaysia. Malaysia is one of our biggest markets and we believe we can bring even more great flavor to our customers here by showcasing the many dynamic ways that our luscious Ambrosia Apples can be integrated to give favorite local dishes that extra zing!”
Cooking Malaysian Dishes with New Zealand Luv’ya Ambrosia Apples
Launching Amboi Ambrosia in true Malaysian fashion, iconic and world-renowned Malaysian culinary master, Chef Wan was invited to demonstrate 3 mouth-watering traditional Malaysian dishes that incorporate Ambrosia apples in the recipe. The 3 dishes are Ambrosia Grilled Calamari Salad, Tom Yum Pumpkin Soup with Ambrosia Apples, and Ambrosia Apple Chutney, all enhanced with the flavorsome tastes of Ambrosia Apples.
Ambrosia Grilled Calamari Salad
- 3 New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple
Sliced into thin strips
- 400 g Calamari
Grilled or pan fried
- ¼ Young Papaya Cut into strips
- 3 tbsp Palm Sugar
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Lime Juiced
- 10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 10 Coriander Leaves Chopped
Chilli Garlic Paste
- 3 Red Chillies
- 3 Cili Padi
- 3 Garlic
- Add palm sugar, chilli garlic paste, fish sauce and lime juice into a bowl. Mix well.
- Add in the New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple, calamari, papaya, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Toss until well mixed and ready to serve.
Tom Yum Pumpkin Soup with Ambrosia Apple
- 2 New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion Diced
- 500 g Pumpkin Diced
- 3 tbsp Tom Yum Paste
- 170 g Canned Tuna
- 250 ml Coconut Milk
- 2.5 l Chicken Stock
- 2 cm Ginger Crushed
- 1 Lemongrass Crushed
- 10 Coriander Leaves Chopped
- ½ New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple
- 50 g Salted Fish
Diced and crispy-fried
- 4 tbsp Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Chili Oil
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat and fry the onion and pumpkin until soft.
- Add in the New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple, tom yum paste, canned tuna, coconut milk, chicken stock ginger and lemongrass. Stir and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and lemongrass, add in the coriander leaves and stir. Transfer the
soup into a blender and blend to a fine consistency.
- In a separate pot, pour in the blended soup and let it simmer. Season with salt and sugar.
- Serve the soup with diced New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple, diced crispy fried salted fish, coconut milk and chilli oil.
Ambrosia Apple Chutney
- 5 New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 4 cm Ginger Minced
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Cloves
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 cup Yellow Raisins
Soaked in hot water
- 10 Coriander Leaves
- 2 Green Chilies Chopped
- 6 Dates Pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Sugar
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Add in the cinnamon sticks, cloves, turmeric powder and curry powder.
- Continue frying for a few minutes before adding in the New Zealand Luv'ya Ambrosia Apple, raisins, coriander leaves, green chilies, dates, cider vinegar and sugar.
- Season with salt and cook for a few minutes before turning off the heat.
- Let the cooked chutney to cool down before storing it.
Speaking about using the apples in his dishes, Chef Wan said, “I’ve always enjoyed the succulent taste of Ambrosia Apples and I was excited at this opportunity to try my hand at infusing some of our nation’s signature dishes with these scrumptious apples. I am glad to say that it worked a treat! The dishes turned out amazingly and were further heightened by the apples. It certainly got me saying – Amboi!”
Heartland Group Luv’ya Ambrosia Apples
Discovered in British Columbia, Canada and now cultivated in New Zealand, Ambrosia apples are renowned for its sweet honeyed flavor, fine crisp texture and juicy tender flesh. It can be recognized by its trademark smooth skin with its bright iridescent pink blush tone and pleasing aroma.
The divine Ambrosia Apples are the results of the magical work of bees as they go by in spring pollinating apple blooms and therefore it is a natural cross of two unknown varieties. Think of them as a gift from the heavens, as the word “Ambrosia” itself means ‘food & drinks of the Gods’ in Greek.
These delectable apples are grown in the idyllic New Zealand’s South Island city of Nelson, along the eastern shores of Tasman Bay. Nelson is truly the perfect place for growing the finest, juiciest and most flavorsome apples. It has a beautiful climate that is perpetually bathed in sunshine – over 2,000 hours of sunshine to be precise. This combined with the mild rainfall and low night time temperatures, thanks to the brisk sea breeze, creates the ideal environment for fresh, delicious, beautiful and healthy apples.
Ambrosia Apples are the product of Heartland Group’s patented method, Applecraft that guides the management of every step of an apple’s life through rigorous integrated quality processes. This is at the core of the company’s ability to deliver some of the world’s best apples to customers, every time.
The Heartland Group is made up of passionate pomologists (apple growers) based in Nelson, New Zealand. Together, they produce a range of apples called Luv’ya Ambrosia Apples through their unique vertically integrated structure that includes their own orchards, pack houses and marketing company allowing the company to have full control over every part of the apple’s journey.
The other apples in the Luv’ya range include old favorites such as Royal Gala apple, Fuji apple and Braeburn apple. They also grow proprietary varieties such as the sweet, tart and popular Pink Lady™, sweet and tangy bright red Eve™, and the juicy and firm Smitten™ amongst other varieties.
Ambrosia Apples and the other delicious apples in the Luv’ya™ range can be found at GCH Retail Malaysia outlets including Giant Hypermarkets, Cold Storage and Jason’s Food Hall as well as other major retailers.