HEINEKEN Malaysia’s Star Academy kickstarted its flagship programme – Heineken Star Serve – where frontline staff are trained to pour the perfect pint based on the five-step Heineken® Pouring Ritual. Heineken Star Serve is an annual programme by HEINEKEN Malaysia.
Heineken Star Serve 2018
This year, Heineken Star Academy will be training over 600 participants across eight cities in July. The best bartender will be selected to represent Malaysia at the Heineken® Global Bartender Finals in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
HEINEKEN Malaysia’s Star Academy’s Trainers Thomas Ling and Jonathan Chong were on hand to demonstrate the Five-Step Heineken® Pouring Ritual by Heineken® Star Serve, which includes:
Step 1: Rinse the glass to make it clean and cold.
Step 2: Pour with the glass at a 45° angle for a full, satisfying head.
Step 3: Skim off the foam at a 45° angle to seal the head.
Step 4: Check that the head sits on the horizontal line of the star.
Step 5： Serve on a coaster with the logo facing your customer.
Interesting facts I’ve learned from HEINEKEN Malaysia Star Academy:
- Beer is made using water, hops, roasted barley and yeast
- It is the amount of hops that gave beer the bitter taste
- The more hops it contains, the more bitter it is
- Beer in can has more alcohol content because it needs to be on the shelf for longer time and alcohol acts as preservative. Hence, draught beer has lesser alcohol content because it is served fresh
- Foam head is necessary because it provides aroma for the beer