23 July 2009

First A(H1N1) related death in Malaysia

PETALING JAYA: A 30-year-old Indonesian student became the first Influenza A(H1N1) related fatality here, although the cause of death was not the disease itself.

The student, from the International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance in Kuala Lumpur, died from cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation, Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said on Thursday.

The deceased suffered from an obesity problem and had an enlarged heart and liver, he added.

On Thursday, The Straits Times in Singapore reported two more fatalities in the island republic, bringing its toll to three.

Both patients also had underlying medical conditions. They were a 13-year-old boy who had epilepsy and a 55-year-old man with motor neuron disease, a nerve disorder.

The first death, last Saturday, was of a 49-year-old man who had multiple health problems including diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol.

Source: The Star Online

16 July 2009

Video of Jackson 1984 Pepsi burn accident surfaces

NEW YORK (AP) - Us Weekly magazine has obtained video it says shows never-before-seen footage of Michael Jackson's head catching on fire during filming of his 1984 Pepsi commercial.

Jackson suffered severe burns after a pyrotechnics mishap caused his hair and scalp to catch fire. Still photos of the accident have been seen before, but the new video on Us Weekly's Web site shows the moment Jackson's hair caught on fire and the top of his head became engulfed in flames.

Jackson didn't realize his hair was on fire. In the video, he's still dancing as the flames are on his head. When he spins, the flames go out. People on the set tackle him to extinguish the fire, and his brother Jermaine Jackson, playing the guitar in front of him and oblivious to the commotion, turns around. When Michael Jackson emerges from the pile of people trying to help him, the top of his head is bald.

The accident, witnessed by thousands of stunned fans at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, came at the height of Jackson's fame, about a year after the release of his best-selling "Thriller" album. It marked what would be the beginning of serious, lifelong pain for Jackson, who had been treated for painkiller addiction and has been described by relatives and friends as being hooked on pain medication at the time of his death last month at age 50.

Jackson, who was photographed in an ambulance with a bandage on his head and his trademark sequined white glove on his right hand, required several surgeries and needed skin grafts to treat the injury.

In his autobiography, "Moonwalk," he described the cause of the accident as "stupidity, pure and simple."

As he described the accident, he wrote: "... bombs went off on either side of my head, and the sparks set my hair on fire. I was dancing down this ramp and turning around, spinning, not knowing I was on fire. Suddenly I felt my hands reflexively go to my head in an attempt to smother the flames."

As a result of the accident, Pepsi gave Jackson $1.5 million, which he donated to a burn center named after him.

A representative for Us Weekly had no immediate comment on where the video came from.-AP

14 July 2009

Stingy Boss

I think he has prejudice towards cafe.
When I suggested on going to cafe (and I mean any cafe), he keeps saying 'no'!
He said cafe's food all almost the same. Doesn't all food court's food are almost the same too?
I felt so frustrated when I suggested going to this cafe that has wi-fi and at the same time tastes quite good but he rejected.
He said cafe's food is expensive but the truth is, the cafe I found is not so expensive. You can get fried rice at RM 5.50.
How's that?
I hate ppl who reject other ppl's suggestion without giving it any chance.

Funny + Frustrating Experience at Post Office

I went post office today to send something to my customer. When I arrived, nobody was at the two opened counters so I decided to simply queue up at one of the counters. Then, an old staff told me to queue up at another counter and closed his counter. After waiting for 2 minutes, the old man came again and asked me to queue up back at his counter.

Well, this next part is the most interesting one...

Old man staff: Miss, RM 8.80 pls
Me: I wanna add 2 RM 2.50 envelopes too
Old man staff: You pay for this one first
Me: *Thinking* Why? You don't know how to use the calculator in front of you? Just press the calculator... 8.8+2.5+2.5 then you'll get the answer!!!
Me (in reality): Ok... *hands him RM 10 and he gave me back RM 1.20*
Old man staff: Ok... what is it that you want?
Me: 2 RM 2.50 envelopes... (I have to repeat twice before he got what I want and handed him RM 5)

I know he can avoid his own confusion by separating the transactions but this is definitely inefficient! It's as if I have to queue up twice to buy different things!